Sunday, August 15, 2010

#1: Punishment

FASTER. The word crashed inside my head. I ran faster. TO YOUR LEFT. I swerved, turning left. The area was desolate. I was surrounded by tall, uninhabited buildings. Stark grey exteriors, with patches of grey sky between them.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see the others. Like me, they were all trying to get somewhere.

ON THE GROUND. NOW. I flung myself on the sidewalk. My body protested as I crashed into the concrete. A bullet flew through the air above me.

I scrambled to my feet. STRAIGHT AHEAD. I started running again, ignoring the blood streaming down my face. Suddenly I saw a wall of fire in front of me. I would have stopped but I knew I couldn’t. I ran into it. For a long moment, I felt the fire burning my flesh.

I woke up in my cell. Involuntarily, I checked my body for bruises I knew I wouldn’t find. They could have hurt me physically, but that would have been inhuman. So they tortured me mentally. Exhausted after my exertions I tried to sleep. Hopefully, I would manage to get a few hours of respite before my next punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment